Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Day 8

Today we spent more time at the beach and enjoying the house.  Cam, Myles, and I went on a fantastic hike around the bay.  After family dinner (pasta with meat sauce!), Jeff handed out superlatives to the group:

Cam -- Festivals Wow Award
Rowan -- Most Likely to Be A World Traveler For Life
Halle -- Most Likely To Find A WiFi Signal At The Bottom Of A Volcano Crater
Jill -- MVP of the Job Site
Hannah -- Most Likely To Find Their Wallet In Miami
Serina -- Most Likely To Leave Donald For Geno
Ashlyn -- Most Likely To Win The Amped Photo Contest
Myles -- Up For Anything Award
Molly -- The Butterfly Award
Trish -- The Tennis Ball Award
Katie -- Most Likely To Return To Nicaragua
Jasmyne -- The Neon Dream
Heather -- The Lobster Award
Joe -- Most Likely To Be An Amped Member For Life

After the superlatives, the Amped staff engaged the group in a round-table discussion about Nicaragua's history and the direction of Amped. Tomorrow we have a long travel day but we are ready to get back to the states.  We should be back in Boston tomorrow by around 11pm!!  Crazy!

I recorded a conversation that I had with Molly tonight about her experience here.  Here is some of what she had to say:

Joe: What can you say about Oasis, where we stayed in Granada?
Molly: The hostel was a very unique place.  I met a lot of interesting people there.
Joe: Who did you meet?
Molly: I met some Australians as well as some Germans and some Americans.
Joe: That's cool.  That's something that happens that we didn't even talk about before the trip!

Joe: What are three things about Granada that really stuck out to you?
Molly: The trash, the dogs, and the homeless/very poor people everywhere.
Joe: Pantanal is the place were we had been working.  It's kind of like a "suburb" of Granada, but not really a suburb.  Same question: what are three things that really stuck out to you about Pantanal?  You can't repeat.
Molly: The skinny horses, amount of people just sitting in their homes, and the houses.
Joe: What about them?
Molly: Like, how some of them are just made of scraps.

Joe: You work with horses at home, right?  As someone that works with horses what can you say about the horses that you saw in Nicaragua?
Molly: The horses were definitely malnourished.  Their hooves were not properly done.  
Joe: Is that a product of them putting the horse shoes on or is it the owner's fault, or a combination?
Molly: What I'm assuming is that the people that own the horses are just doing it themselves and either don't know how to do it properly or don't have the resources.
Joe: That's a cool perspective.

Joe: What was your favorite cultural excursion?
Molly: I think my favorite would be the Lake Nicaragua boat tour because it was really cool to see the stars.  I was laying on my back at the front of the boat and you could see all the stars and I've never seen the sky as filled.

Joe: Can you give me a specific interaction with the kids at the work site that you'll remember?
Molly: We taught them Hopscotch.  I'm not exactly sure if they already knew Hopscotch or not because of the language barrier, but from what they were doing I don't think that they did.  On the second day, I think, they were teaching me a hand game, similar to "patty cake" I guess, that had a song that went along with it and that was cool.  On the third day, one of the girls said "Molly!" and remembered my name and that was really cool.

Joe: When we got to the beach house, where we are now, what were some of the first things going through your head?
Molly: It's such a change from where we were to where we are now.  There not as much pollution.  Actually, I haven't seen any.  The running water is nice, there's hot water.  We're right next to a spa.

Joe: This being your first trip out of the country, did you enjoy it?  What do you think you're going to take from this when you get home?
Molly: I definitely enjoyed it.  I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to take from this when I get home because I'm not home yet.  Hopefully I'm going to realize what I'm going to get out of this, but hopefully I'll be more grateful.

Joe: Anything you want to say to your fans on the blog?
Molly: Can I say something to my family?
Joe: Sure!
Molly: I'll see you guys tomorrow.  To my family out there, I love you mom and dad. Ethan, Justin even though you kind of annoy me sometimes, you're awesome! Hopefully everything is going well and I'll probably see you 10 hours after you read this.  Thank you and goodnight!


Here are some pics from today:

This little guy has a crazy shrill and drinks pool water every morning. 

Ashlyn is sick. Fell asleep holding her phone. 

Cam, Myles, and I went on a massive hike around the bay and saw some incredible things. 

This cave took a while to get to. I got stung by a prehistoric wasp in there.

Festivals Wow.

Myles showing Dan how far we hiked.

The mustache doing card tricks. 

Last sunset at the beach house. 

Trish built this card pyramid OUT OF NOWHERE.

Glow stick + water bottle = genius.

Jeff handing out superlatives to the group.

This moth is about the size of an iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment