Monday, July 10, 2017

Arrived Safe and Sound

Hello Everyone at Home!
We arrived safe and sound in Nicaragua today and are settling in nice. We got in and walked around the neighborhood to get our bearings and found a nice place for dinner.



Here are students perspectives of their trip so far:

Scott
As a returning volunteer the shell shock of arriving in a foreign country did not impact me as much as it may have for some others. However as soon as we landed I still found my self asking many questions about Nicaragua and really any thing that came to mind. It was also a different experience to be able to answer some of the questions that the other volunteers had. Being in Nicaragua for the second time was definitely a great decision.

Hannah K
I'm bad at beginning things but Nicaragua is not what I had expected and yet everything I expected simultaneously. Upon landing, I was stunned by the beauty of the country and yet also shocked at what I first saw stepping out of the airport in Managua. I was surprised to see the living conditions of many of the people in Managua. As we continued toward our destination, the landscape was breathtaking. Everything was lush and green and in the distance you could spot the Masaya volcano. Granada was even more beautiful. All of the buildings standout with bright colors. Even more impressive is how accessible everything is. For the most part everybody has been nice and welcoming and patient with you even while you struggle to pronounce the simplest of spanish words. One thing that has been hard to get used to however is people trying to force you to buy things by getting a little too close or trying to put the item in your hands. While it's startling, it also makes you reflect on the steps some people in the Nicaraguan economy must take in order to make money. All in all, I have been anticipating this trip for over a year and I am ecstatic to see what's ahead.

Hanna L
I have been to some amazing places like Jamaica and the Bahamas but nothing has compared to the realization of Nicaragua. When I first arrived I could not believe my eyes, it felt like I was in the Amazing Race. Watching this show with my family we always commented on how different other cultures were, and I am now seeing for my self. Also taking spanish two in high school helped more than I thought, I can understand a few words here and there but my pronunciation needs work.  I am so excited to go to a volcano with flowing lava tomorrow.

Lauren
I have traveled to many places, but this is my first trip outside the US. I was well aware of the living conditions in Nicaragua prior to my arrival, but I was still amazed as we exited the airport in Managua and made our way to Granada.  Driving through the city was crazy. I have no other words to describe it there was such a variety of scenery and the traffic flow is chaotic with a mix of horse drawn buggies, scooters and bikes, as well as cars, vans, and buses. People just walk across the street, and the cars don't stop for them if anything they speed up as if to beat them. I knew there was a large population of stray dogs in the area, but the fact that horses and cows also roam freely without fencing was a shock to me. The food so far was realllly good and I honestly can't stop thinking about it and the hammock is definitely the best place to hangout where we are staying. Nicaragua is a lot different then life back home, but even after being here for only half a day it's definitely an eye opener. I can't wait to continue to explore!

Lexi
(Soon to be posted!) we all got tired and went to bed. Draft in progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment